People love getting outdoors in summer. Sun safety is important for our children as it helps protect skin cancer later in life.
Children can get sunburnt in less than 10 minutes, and babies even more quickly.
Protect your child from the sun by teaching them to become SunSmart. Always use sun protection when UV levels are 3 or higher. It is also important to model good sun protection habits, as children learn by observing their parents’ and caregivers’ behaviour.
Check the sun protection rating before heading out (see the free SunSmart app or Bureau of Meteorology) – if the UV index is 3 (moderate) or higher, make sure your child’s skin is protected.
Teach your children to:
- Slip on clothing:
- Put on clothing that covers as much skin as possible.
- Choose lightweight, loose-fitting clothing that won’t make your child too hot.
- Slop on sunscreen:
- Use SPF30 or higher broad-spectrum, water-resistant sunscreen on your child’s face, arms, hands and any other skin that is not covered.
- Apply sunscreen 20 minutes before going outside and reapply every two hours. Sunscreen does not completely block out all UV radiation and should never be the only method of sun protection.
- The widespread use of sunscreen on babies under six months old is not recommended.
- Slap on a hat:
- Choose a hat that shades your child’s face, back of the neck, eyes and ears, and is a suitable size for your child’s head.
- Broad-brimmed, Legionnaire or bucket hats are best. Baseball caps and visors are not recommended.
Sample Block Quote
Praesent vestibulum congue tellus at fringilla. Curabitur vitae semper sem, eu convallis est. Cras felis nunc commodo loremous convallis vitae interdum non nisl. Maecenas ac est sit amet augue pharetra convallis nec danos.
Sample Paragraph Text
Praesent vestibulum congue tellus at fringilla. Curabitur vitae semper sem, eu convallis est. Cras felis nunc commodo eu convallis vitae interdum non nisl. Maecenas ac est sit amet augue pharetra convallis nec danos dui.
Cras suscipit quam et turpis eleifend vitae malesuada magna congue. Damus id ullamcorper neque. Sed vitae mi a mi pretium aliquet ac sed elitos. Pellentesque nulla eros accumsan quis justo at tincidunt lobortis denimes loremous. Suspendisse vestibulum lectus in lectus volutpat, ut dapibus purus pulvinar. Vestibulum sit amet auctor ipsum.